School Site Council
School site Council elections
What is a School Site Council?
The Site Council is a parent-teacher-staff governing body that makes school site-based decisions.
When the School Improvement Program (SIP) and School Base Program were established by the California State Board of Education, these programs were envisioned as ways to increase school-wide effectiveness, improve student achievement and over time, better prepare students to be productive workers and responsible citizens.
The School Site Council was determined to be the vehicle by which the school community would come together to chart the school's path to improvement. The Site Council represents all segments of the school community. Being composed of the principal, teachers, other personnel, and parents. it provides a forum for all stakeholders to come together to identify goals, establish a plan and allocate resources to achieve these goals.
What does the SSC do?
According to the San Mateo - Foster City School District Bylaws of School Site Councils, the roles and responsibilities of the Highlands Elementary School Site Council, includes:
- Develop a three-year School Improvement Plan for the school.
- Once the plan is approved by the Board, review the plan with the total school community.
- Conduct ongoing review of plan implementation.
- Periodically evaluate program implementation to determine its effectiveness in meeting children's needs. Modify the plan as needed.
- Develop an annual budget and monitor it on an ongoing basis. Establish a new budget annually which is consistent with program plan.
- Establish and maintain communications with the governing board, school and district personnel, and community.
- Act on other duties and responsibilities as determined by the Council or by the local governing board.
Who serves on the School Site Council?
Highlands Elementary School Site Council is an elected, school based council, with equal representation of parents and school staff, that supports and assists in the implementation of the school program and district goal to promote the academic and social development of all students. The School Site Council plays a vital role in the planning and decision making process at the school site.
Participation on the School Site Council affords parents the opportunity to plan and implement new and ongoing programs in collaboration with the staff. Please consider contributing to the decision making process around curriculum and instruction by participating on the School Site Council.