Highlands Elementary-4th Grade
All instruction is based on District and State Standards
Language Arts: (Reading, Writing, Listening, and Speaking)
- Reading: Benchmark Advance Program (District adopted)
- Writing; Writers Workshop, Letter Writing, Writing Process, Grammar, Spelling, and Academic Vocabulary
- Listening and Speaking: Oral Reading, Listening Activities, Sharing, Oral Presentations
Math: Zearn Math (District adopted)
- Mastering Multiplication
- Daily reteach and practice
Grade 4 mathematics is about:
Developing understanding and fluency with multi-digit multiplication, and developing understanding of dividing to find quotients involving multi-digit dividends.
Developing an understanding of fraction equivalence, addition and subtraction of fractions with like denominators, and multiplication of fractions by whole numbers.
Understanding that geometric figures can be analyzed and classified based on their properties, such as having parallel sides, perpendicular sides, particular angle measures, and symmetry.
Science: TWIG (District adopted) Units:
- Magnetism and Electricity
- Earth Materials
Social Studies: California History
- Native California Tribes
- Gold Rush
Visual and Performing Arts
- Art in Action
P.E.: Activities for the development of fine and gross motor skills with emphasis on and refinement of: team building, skills, organized games, sportsmanship, and student participation.
Study Trips/Special Activities:
- San Mateo County History Museum
- Mission San Juan Bautista
- Sanchez Adobe
- Coloma Outdoor Discovery School
- 4th Grade Fun Day